Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2001-02 > 0982440332

From: Charles Clark <>
Subject: Re: [Scotch-Irish] Middle Names
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 09:05:32 +1300

Middle names are a source of frustration, because they promise so much and only sometimes deliver it. Use of middle names usually implies the family has a bit of money, enough "presence" if you like to want to make their mark or commemorate their past in people's names.
I've got one which is frustrating me: A Bernard Stuart who was born in Ireland and married (in Cork) a Mary Pedder had a son Christopher P Stuart. No problems there, it's a dime to a dollar that "P" is for Pedder and he's actually Chritopher Pedder Stuart.
The family emigrated to Kentucky about 1795, and Christopher P Stuart married Elizabeth Grant, who was a connection of the Boone family (great-niece of ye olde Daniel himself, no less), and they had a daughter Catherine Darling Stuart. I'd very much like to know where the "Darling" comes from. It's about 110% likely to be a
surname from further back in the family on one side or another, and so far as I can tell it is not on the Grant side. Was the original Catherine Darling (or someone Darling, anyway), Bernard Stuart's mother, back in Ireland? It would be a way of perpetuating a family line that might have seemed important at the time, although
it does not seem to have been passed down any further.
Charlie

Paul McAfee wrote:

> This is a question about the convention of middle names and usage practice, if any, among the S-I. I have not seen middle names used with any of the original immigrants in my various families from the early 18th Century Ulster. But middle names abound after that. Sometimes the middle name was the mother's original surname.
>
> My reason for asking is that some clue to how middle names were given or assigned among SI, at least in America, may help me locate ancestors.

This thread: