Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2001-02 > 0982425238

From: "Paul McAfee" <>
Subject: [Scotch-Irish] Middle Names
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 09:53:58 -0600

This is a question about the convention of middle names and usage practice, if any, among the S-I. I have not seen middle names used with any of the original immigrants in my various families from the early 18th Century Ulster. But middle names abound after that. Sometimes the middle name was the mother's original surname.

My reason for asking is that some clue to how middle names were given or assigned among SI, at least in America, may help me locate ancestors. I will give an example:

The middle name Harris was given to many male descendents of my great grandfather Daniel H. Kirby (1850-1925). I am supposing that the H. in his name was also for Harris but I do not know. At least three of his children had Harris for middle names and one (perhaps more) of his grandchildren.
Any help will be appreciated.

Paul

This thread: