Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2001-01 > 0980896936

From: "David L. White" <>
Subject: Re: [Scotch-Irish] Leyburn: The SI A Social History
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 17:22:16 -0600

I might add that Gustavus Adolphus and his Scottish mercenaries covered a
lot of ground in their fighting. I visited a small town in southern
Bavaria, and noted a statue of a priest in the courtyard of an old
monestary. Essentially the caption read: "In memory of Father Schmidt,
killed while defending his congregation against Gustavus Adolphus and his
plundering Swedes."
According the the book "Grip Fast: The Leslies in History" by Alexander
Leslie Klieforth, about 30,000 Scots served in the Swedish Army during the
Thirty Years War.