Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2001-01 > 0980895545

Subject: Re: [Scotch-Irish] Leyburn: The SI A Social History
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 17:59:05 EST

In a message dated 1/30/01 3:21:30 PM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

> There is a picture in "Ireland; A Concise History"
> (O'Brien) of "Scottish mercenaries in the service of Gustavus Adolphus of
> Sweden, 1631. The caption of this contemporary German broadsheet describes
> them
> as 'physically strong, enduring much; if bread be scarce, they eat roots'.
> The
> Irish 'galloglass' came of the same stock."

Charlie:

Recently, I learned that there is one or more branches of my family in
Germany/Switzerland, etc. This was a bit of a surprise until I saw your
recent post (see above) that mentions "Galloglas". My family is said to be a
Galloglas family.

My question is this: Is it possible that one branch of my Galloglas family
went to Ireland and another went to Europe? Or could it be the same branch
that shucked off some members in each locale?

I would appreciate your comments.

Garth MacGirr
Toronto, Canada

This thread: