Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2001-01 > 0980538603

Subject: [Scotch-Irish] McConnon and Campbell
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 14:50:03 EST

Dear Listers,
I need some help. My goal is to find the specific home town or parish of
my great grandparents who were born in County Armagh. I'm told they came to
New York in their late teens with their parents, who knew each other in
Ireland, and soon married. Their names were Patrick CAMPBELL and Katherine
MCCONNON. I know CAMPBELL is a common name in Armagh, but search as I might,
I can't find MCCONNON. I have an old newspaper clipping (undated) about one
of their sons which says that the parents "came from Ireland and settled in
Dunkirk, N.Y. in 1854". I know the family was Roman Catholic until the
mother died (breast cancer) and a priest refused to bury her because of poor
church attendance. Most of the family left the church permanently,
descendants included. The church they attended in Dunkirk no longer exists,
the cemetery records only say they were born in Ireland, Patrick is on the
Chatauqua County 1860 census in Dunkirk. I have sent to Chatauqua Co. for
their naturalization records, but have not heard back. Are there other paths
I could take in the meantime? I appreciate any assistance.
T.I.A., Lois in Michigan

This thread: