Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2001-01 > 0980276516

From: Charles Clark <>
Subject: Re: [Scotch-Irish] Did Scot Catholics Immigrate To Ulster Around End of 17th Century
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 08:01:56 +1300

wrote:

> Hi, since IReland and Scotland can be seen on from the other and
> in the past the seas were the super highways at any time you can
> be assured that people were going back and forth. It was not as
> easy as paddling across the Mississippi, but perhaps the concept
> will help. I didn't "get it" till I was there myself. In addition,
> like a Mississippi crossing, there was no big port everyone went
> through and no officials writing down names or religions.

Here's a wee tale to ilustrate this. The ruinedchurch at Cloncha is in
Inishowen, the peninsula at the neorthern tip of Ireland, in co Donegal:
The famous stone of Magnus MacOrristin of the Isles, still in the chancel of
the ruined church at Cloncha, is said to be placed over his remains, and
certainly this was the firm belief of his great-grandson George. This stone
is referred to by W.J. Doherty in his "Inis-owen and Tirconnell", and an
illustration of it appears in the "Ulster Journal of Archaeology", 1895, vol.
I, p170. In vol. II of the U.J.A. the following account of it, written by the
Rev E.J. Hamilton, Archdeacon of Derry, appears: "The curious appearance of
this stone can be explained as follows: This stone had long lain buried under
soil. I remember seeing it when quite a little boy, and I was at service in
the now ruined church. Some long years since I went and had the stone
stripped, and that same day went to the Youngs of Culdaff, as I knew it was
over a grave of one of their family, and asked them about it. They told me a
fishing boat from Culdaff was blown over to one of the Scotch isles in a
gale, and on its return the crew, in want of ballast, went into a churchyard
in, I think, Iona, and took this stone away, which one of their relatives got
hold of and placed it where it is. This would account for the golf-stick and
ball, which were unknown in Ireland, and quite suits with the title upon the
stone. The name 'Magnus MacOrristin' is utterly unknown in the district, and
'of the Isles' would exactly fall in with the history; while the golf-stick
and ball might utterly mislead antiquaries as to the existence of the game in
Ireland."
Charlie

This thread: