Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2001-01 > 0980269913

From: <>
Subject: [Scotch-Irish] Did Scot Catholics Immigrate To Ulster Around End of 17th Century
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 09:11:53 -0800

Hi, since IReland and Scotland can be seen on from the other and
in the past the seas were the super highways at any time you can
be assured that people were going back and forth. It was not as
easy as paddling across the Mississippi, but perhaps the concept
will help. I didn't "get it" till I was there myself. In addition,
like a Mississippi crossing, there was no big port everyone went
through and no officials writing down names or religions. History
only mentions the "main events" in the entwined histories of these
countries, but that doesn't mean that your own particular ancestors'
patterns of migration had nothing to do with history's main events.

So Catholic Scots have been going over as long as there were Catholics.
You do need to read the pertinent portions of Hanna "The Scotch Irish"
to understand that in the mid 1500's was a particularly large event,
when the McDonalds reclaimed Antrim. Most of the people in the
Glens today are descended from them. However they think of themselves
as Irish.

Ethnity aside, the significance of religion in Ireland is what it
says about the records. Before Cromwell, many catholic landowners
existed in Ireland, like the McDonalds themselves. So you can use
the early will indexes and the deeds too to locate them -- if they
were large landowners. (I am bypassing government records here for
the sake of brevity). With the penal laws, folks interested in retaining
rank and property converted. The McDonnells did too. For more info
see the PRONI website. (If you don't know it, search on www.google.com ).

If they remained Catholic after 1700 I suggest you check in with an
Irish list and better yet (if you really want to find them), read a
few books on Irish genealogy. Othewise you won't find them simply be-
cause you do not understand enough about Irish genealogy to devise
an effective strategy.

On this list we do not have experts on Catholic records. I founded
the list to evolve some expertise on Protestant records. About any
other Irish list has far more expertise on Catholic records than
we do here.

As a genealogy list, our primary focus here is records. Ethnity,
folk history, etc, that's non-scientific. To locate ancestors (our
goal) you need history and records. The historical info helps you
understand the ancestor's milieu so you can devise strategies. The
records are the only thing you have to find them, excepting the
family seanchie, should you have them. When I read history I always
check the sources the author uses since those are where I might find
some family info (if my amcestors were not peasants and middlemen.
Most of ours were, including mine).

So I would suggest that if they were Catholic after Cromwell, they
were merged into the Catholics. You will need to understand catholic
records to find them. And that is not our area of expertise or
interest. However any Irish genealogy source on the planet (excepting
this one) will be of assistence to you since catholic records is
usually about all they talk about. Far more Catholics than Prods
in Ireland!

Most Catholic Scots were highlanders --while the PRotestants were
in the lowlands. Maybe that'll help.

Catholic records in Scotland??? Nope, not here. Check the Scots
lists. Scottish records are VERY different from Irish or English. You
need an expert in Scottish genealogy.

Best of luck,

Linda Merle

This thread: