Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2001-01 > 0978578130

From: "Carl Stevenson" <>
Subject: Re: [Scotch-Irish] ships
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 03:15:30 -0000

Phyllis

While it's true that there might not be ship lists there are some indirect
methods that might help you in your search.

Your ancestors had to pay for their trip to the new world somehow. The
trip wasn't free and it wasn't cheap either. Did they sell their
lease/farm in Ireland to finance the trip? The record of this might be
recorded in manor records or the Registry of Deeds. Or if your ancestor
paid rent to land owner- you might find records of these payments- trace
them through the years until the name no longer appears, this might be a
window of time when they left for the new world

Two-Every male 16 and over had to muster out periodically- there are copies
of these muster rolls for the late 1600-1700's- Trace your ancestor in
these muster rolls until his name doesn't appear anymore and you might then
have an idea when they might have left for the North Americas.

Three- Taxes- everyone paid them- there are different taxes collected in
the time frame you're interested in. Trace your ancestor until the name no
longer appears

Four the same applies in the British colonies- there are muster rolls, tax
laws and land records that can be used. Trace your ancestor until doesn't
appear in the records and you might have a window of time to look in-

Five- Hannah's book The Scotch-Irish gives a great idea where to look for
settlements of SI in North America.

Six- commerce records- look in records of fairs and markets- the family
might have entered their pigs in the fair for several years running (like
mine did!) and then all of the sudden there's no mention of them in the
records- you get the idea

I have other ideas as well

I have LDS film numbers for all of the above- let me know and I can send
them along to you

I've done the above and it does work- unfortunately you have to search
muster rolls and tax records and land records so you have multiple sources
for multiple years but it can be done!

I used census and tax records in Ohio to search my Stevenson line to the
mid 1850's in ohio- then searched tax records, manor records, land records
and parish records and GSI's to start the research in Ireland. So I know
the method works!

Happy New Year

carl stevenson

----------
> Subject: Re: [Scotch-Irish] ships
> Date: Wednesday, January 03, 2001 5:47 AM
>
> Hi Phyllis,
>
> >People really did come from Ireland to the US between 1746 and 1753.
> >Where can one find ships for this period of time?
>
> No, generally you cannot find ship lists for this period. That's
> because it was not until 1820 that the US government passed a law
> requiring that US ports document all arriving immigrants. These early
> ship lists are called "Customs Lists" and they contain less info than
> the later ones, even, though many of us would be very happy to have
> even the amount of info they provide!
>
> In the 1700's the British government did not have such a law so there
> are no lists of everyone who came on board a ship (that's what you
> are looking for).
>
> There are lists of non British citizens who arrived because the British
> government did want those documented. Many of the Germans who arrived
> through Philly came on the same ships are our ancestors. The Germans
> are documented. Many are published and some are on the Internet.
> (the ones under copy right are not as well as the unpublished ones.
> Some of them are in LDS.)
>
> Britain didn't pass a law till very late (around 1900, I beleive)
> requiring that those LEAVING be documented. You do find lists of
> Emigrants in Germany, but not generally for the British Isles.
> (There are always exceptions so you find some lists for very brief
> periods.)
>
> There are groups of British immigrants who are documented in
> the 1700's. Like indentured servants and criminals. Many of those
> records are published.
>
> You would generally search Filby (long row of tan books at your local
> genealogy library) first. Filby is now on CD: Cd 591 is the 2000
> Supplement. See www.familytreemaker.com .
>
> You also would search Peter Coldham's books. He wrote a series of
> books like the "Complete Book of Emigrants" and "Emigrants in Bondage".
> You can find these at your local library or by the CDs at the
> address above. A fellow named Dobson documented as many Scottish
> immigrantion records as he could. He is also on CD now.
>
> What few records there are of Irish are largely published and some
> are available on CD. See the above URL. You will not find these books
> on the Internet as they are under copyright.
>
> For a good overview of the records situation see
> http://genealogy.com/university.html -- lots of info on the history
> of American ship lists in the immigration courses.
>
> These courses are full of ideas on how to overcome your brick wall
> and locate the place of origin. My experience is the ideas work,
> but they do require info that is usually not on the Internet, though
> this isn't always so. I found the country and village of origin of
> my ex husband in the subscription library at
> http://genealogylibrary.com .
>
> Best of luck!
>
> Linda Merle

This thread: