Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2000-08 > 0967398329

From: "Charles.Clark" <>
Subject: Re: Is there an EIRE in Ireland?
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 13:45:29 -0400

wrote:

This book gives you an incredibly detailed picture of life in this

> town and parish, the leading personalities too. Sometimes you have
> only a clue to the location of the ancestor. Perhaps they said only
> "I was born at Clover Hill, where my parents were servants". Great,
> but where the hey is Clover Hill? CLOVER HILL IS INDEXED IN THIS CD.
> There were six in Ireland, or 6 in the index. So it's great to use
> to find obscure place names that don't appear in the townland index.

Oh, and if you want to look for Cloverhill, there's an entry in PRONI file D/915, the papers of Charles George Stuart's estate
agency from last century:

D.915/9/ DATE DESCRIPTION
1 c.1764-1882 8 wills, including those of Mrs. Elizabeth Loughead [sic], Ballymoney, Co. Antrim, John
Henry, Cloverhill (otherwise Ballynafeigh), Co. Antrim and James Moore, formerly of Ballydivity, and subsequently of Bellisle, Co.
Antrim.

Don't know if this is the same Cloverhill, but it appears also, along with the same family of Henry, in Amy Young's "Three Hundred
Years in Inishowen", which is not surprising, as Amy Young was Charles George Stuart's grand-daughter. An Archibald Stuart or
Stewart married Jane, dau of Alexander Henry Esq of Clover Hill, near Stranocum. Which may mean it is a different Clover Hill, I
suppose, no sign of an R Forrester, Esq

One last item: as I understand it, a manse is the residence of a Presbyterian minister, while a glebe-house is to be found on
property (glebe lands) providing income to a Church of Ireland parish. No doubt someone will correct me on that
Charlie

This thread: