Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2000-06 > 0962169055

From: Linda Merle <>
Subject: RE: Nonsubscribing Presbyterians
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 22:10:55 -0700

As list admin, I sure have no objections to this thread. We've discussed it
a lot in the past and usually with a focus on understanding the past and
with emotional detachment.

I am certainly no expert in church history, unlike the Rev Andrews, but I've
gotten very interested over the years in exploring them. They are very much
a part still of our culture as well as our past.

One of the best places to read about the various types of records as well
as the history of different groups in Ireland is our Irish genealogical Bible
"Irish and Scotch Irish Ancestral Research" by Margaret Dickson Falley.
This is a large 2 volume work in any genealogy library worthy of the name.
She wrote this in the 1970's and it has never been surpassed. It can usually
be got at the Genealogical Publishing Co.

First of all look up your surnames in its indexes -- she uses real examples
and there's a lot of info there. But she also has chapters on each religion,
its history in Ireland, and the records left. Fascinating.

IT also contains things like a list of Wesleyan Methodist ministers in Ireland
in 1847 and where they were. The Irish Methodists are a fascinating lot.
We are refered to "A History of the Church of Ireland" 1953, by Johnston,
Robinson and Jackson. P 231 explains about the Palatinate Newcomers:
"'During the summer of 1709, some three thousand German-speaking Protestant
refugees from the Palatinate of the Rhine, landed in Dublin, to be settled in
County Limierick and a few other parts of Ireland. The Established Church
of Ireland handled them as it did the Huguenots; provided the Prayer Book
in German, received them into the Church, and in 1712, the first German-
speaking clergyman was ordained.....John Wesley worked among them and
from the Methodist connection created by him there came Barbara Heck
and Philip Embury, founders of the Methodist Church in America.'".

Barbara Heck and Philip Embury emigrated in 1760 with a party of Palatinates
to New York. The book "Ireland and the Centenary of American Methodism"
by the Rev William Crook, has 300 pages mostly on these Irish Palatinates,
founders of American Methodism.

Linda Merle

This thread: