Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2000-06 > 0962156954

From: "Edward Andrews" <>
Subject: RE: Nonsubscribing Presbyterians
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 02:49:14 +0100

If people have trouble with Church history, that is their problem. While I
make no bones about it that I am a Church of Scotland minister, I hope that
I am mature enough to teach Ecclesiastical History as an academic subject.
Bluntly I don't think that you can even begin to understand the S-I unless
you at least recognise the differing religious makeup which has developed
over the years.
Especially in Ireland, the religion is a key feature to identifying where
people may have come from. For example if you have "Covenanters" or
"Friends" (Quakers) in your line, you are on a roll, as there are not that
many centres for them to have come from.

You have to be a bit careful about Unitarian. In both America and Great
Britain you have Unitarians, who are by definition part of a specific faith
community. Basically they reject the idea of the Trinity. What they put in
its place usually is left as an open question.

However, some of the Nonsubscribing Presbyterians at least historically
would claim to Trinitarian orthodoxy, merely that they are not prepared to
define too closely what people should believe. When their followers move,
they would probably connect with a Unitarian body, but they might not.
Except for Dublin, where, at least when I was at University there they
traded as Unitarians and I think that their roots were from England) it is
really only used in a derogatory way in Ulster.

However I, despite some of them claiming orthodoxy, believe that many of
their ministers are trained in the Unitarian College in Manchester, so the
best comment would be that their general ideas are not in line with
Presbyterian Orthodoxy.

However, (sorry to have so many howevers) you are not really interested in
the present beliefs. You have to accept that Churches change, and the reason
why E H is so important that it enables us to work out where people would
have fitted in during the 18th Century which is the classic time of S-I
migration (or later). All that you are really wanting to do is to find out
what the successor body to the Church of your father's is, so that you can
try and find out if they have any records.
Edward Andrews

St. Nicholas Buccleuch Parish Church Dalkeith, Midlothian, Scotland
Visit our Web site http://www.btinternet.com/~stnicholas.buccleuch/index.htm

This thread: