Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2000-05 > 0959485999

From: Linda Merle <>
Subject: Re: Mcgregor family in Ballycastle, Antrim,No.Ireland
Date: Sat, 27 May 2000 20:53:19 -0700

Hi Nancy,

>According to Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, published in the
1830's, (on FTM CD 270) Ballycastle was originally ballycashlain or
"Castle town", after a castle built there in 1609 by Randal McDonnell, Earl
of Antrim,
in accordance with direction from James I. The town is on the north coast,
across from Rathlin Island. In 1831 there were 275 houses.

"Elegant Seats" includes C McGildowny, Esq, Capt. A Boyd, J McNeale, and
others. It was formerly a great manufacturing and commercial center with
breweries, glass houses, salt works, and warehouses as well as collieries
The town attained this prosperity under the guidance of a Hugh Boyd. Soon
after his decease, it began to decline. All that remained in the 1830's was a
smal fishery. The harbor was choked up, the quay a heap of ruins, the custom
house converted to a whiskey shop, the breweries untenanted.

Best wishes,

Linda Merle

>I do not know a lot about Moyarget or Ballycastle. I am trying to
>research this couple in Ireland and trace backward
>to gather more generations and genealogy.
>
>Nancy

This thread: