Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2000-04 > 0954629495

From: "Charles.Clark" <>
Subject: Re: Scotch-Irish-D Digest V00 #174
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2000 10:51:35 +1200

I have an email from Joe in Austin, which might perhaps be of interest
to those interested in the Swedish bitIt reads in part:

Iron Duke wrote:

> Those in Sweden later becane the Royal Scots Regiment. Oldest infantry
> regiment in the world.

> Joe in Austin
> equitare arcum tendere et veritatem dicere
I looked up the Royal Scots Regiment at
http://www.aboutscotland.co.uk/theroyalscots/history.html
and quote in part:

"when Sir John Hepburn under a Royal Warrant granted by King Charles I,
raised a body of men in Scotland for service in France. By 1635 he
commanded a force of over 8,000, including many who had fought as
mercenaries in the "Green Brigade" for King Gustavus Adolphus of Sweden.
It was by virtue of the Royal Warrant that the entire Regiment was
considered as British; a regular force in a standing Army which could be
recalled to Britain at will. And in 1661, the Regiment was summoned to
Britain to bridge the gap between the disbandment of the New Model Army
and the creation of a Regular Army, organised along the same lines as
the British units in foreign service. The Regiment was thus the original
model for all others."

Of course, it's only some of those who were in Sweden that got involved
in this lot. Being mercenaries, they ended up in all sorts of armies,
and I have already noted that some were in Cromwell's New Model Army. I
guess there are two points to be made: the first is that we miss an
awful lot of what was going on if we restrict ourselves to just Scotland
and Ireland, while ignoring the wider European context, and the whole
situation was much more flexible and mobile than we tend to imagine,
particularly for the unattached males who made up the mercenary forces
throughout Europe
Charlie

This thread: