Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2000-03 > 0954472875

From: Linda Merle <>
Subject: Re: SURNAME CAGE
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 19:21:15 -0800

Hi Justin,

We can give you some free information, but if you really want to get to the
bottom of it, then you will conduct your own research -- taking more than the
10 minutes I did to do it! Free genealogy surname lookups are a lot like
free medical advice.

I see no evidence that there was a McCage. The name is very rare in Ireland.
It does appear on the list of English Adventurers who financed the English
Civil War and therefore were awarded land in Ireland. There is in the Index
to Griffiths Valuation one Cage -- Rev R W Cage in Westmeath. There are
Caghans, Gagher 's, Cagley's.

Though MacLysaght has no Cage or McCage there are 2 families in Galway:
James and Redmond. Were these the descendents of the English Cage
who went native? Could be, lots did. Possibly Galway local history
knows who and what these people are!! Perhaps the remnants of a very
small sept or -- assimulated English.

At least just a few of them show up.

I also check Black "Surnames of Scotland" - nada!!

Linda Merle

This thread: