Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2000-02 > 0951432407

From: "the Hamiltons" <>
Subject: re: Gringos
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 16:46:47 -0600

Years ago I told my brother about the source of "gringos" being one of the tunes like "Green Grows;"
And sibling rivalry being what it is, he went out of his way to cite experts who said that this
is one of those "dear-to-our-hearts" myths that persists. I believe that there is a theory that the word came from the Spanish word "grigo" (sounds like that anyway) meaning Greek , as in "it's all Greek to me" I guess! But here's hoping he's wrong and that I can say, "gotcha!"
Nancy

This thread: