Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2000-02 > 0951423420

From: "Sue & Bobby Bates" <>
Subject: Re: Gringos
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 14:17:00 -0600

Hi Brendan,
Actually, the term 'gringo' comes from an old song that was very popular
about the time of the Mexican/American conflict. It was 'Green Grow The
Lilacs' and because so many of the Americans were singing it they became
'Gringos'. At least, that's the version that I got on it. :-)
Green grow the lilacs
All covered with dew.
I'm lonesome, my darling,
Since parting with you....
Then there's a line or two about them getting back together and changing the
green lilacs to the red, white and blue.
Best,
SueB
IBSSG
Rootsweb Sponsor
http://www.netease.net/members/bsbates
"How come my Family Coat of Arms ties in the back?"