Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2000-02 > 0951423420

From: "Sue & Bobby Bates" <>
Subject: Re: Gringos
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 14:17:00 -0600

Hi Brendan,
Actually, the term 'gringo' comes from an old song that was very popular
about the time of the Mexican/American conflict. It was 'Green Grow The
Lilacs' and because so many of the Americans were singing it they became
'Gringos'. At least, that's the version that I got on it. :-)
Green grow the lilacs
All covered with dew.
I'm lonesome, my darling,
Since parting with you....
Then there's a line or two about them getting back together and changing the
green lilacs to the red, white and blue.
Rootsweb Sponsor
"How come my Family Coat of Arms ties in the back?"