Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2000-01 > 0948480422

From: <>
Subject: Re: Old Parish Names
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 10:47:02 -0800

Hi Mike,

Do you know what religion is your ancestor?

In Ireland there are:

Civil Parishes -- these were/are Church of Ireland parishes, so also
civil parishes -- ie government was organized in them, like a US county.

Roman Catholic parishes -- these were set up by the Catholic church
later on -- I think late 18th, early 19th century.

They sometimes DO NOT conform to civil parish boundaries. Civil parishes
were set up I beleive as early as the Normans . Population has moved
so the Catholics developed parishes that reflected current population
centers.

I recall working on a southern Leitrim situation in which
there were 3 Catholic parishes in one civil parish. The lad I was
helping said he wrote to the priest and he couldn't find them. Cool,
but WHICH priest did he write to? He had a civil parish from Griffiths
and he didn't realize there were at least 3 possibilities. I tried to
get help from a guy who works here and is from Leitrim, but he was
from the wrong end of Leitrim. All he knew was everyone was Catholic
down there -- His way of saying it's confusing and there's a lot of them.

Presbyterians, Quakers, Baptists, Methodists -- they' don't have
parishes. They are congregational. Esp. Presbyterians would drive to
a further church if they were Covenantor or Secessionist rather than
go to the nearby Presbyterian church. (That's why we have the jokes
about the 3 Presbyterian churches).

The other thing that I find irritating is that the guys who
write these books tend to use the parish name while our ancestors
often recalled the name of the church. So y ou run around, as y ou
are, in circles because the guys who write these books haven't
put the info we need in their books. I'm thinking of Ryan "Irish
Records" here. I'll add PRONI. If you left a suggestion, they'd no
doubt take the advice to heart.

Maybe a local person knows the name of the churches and can help
us figure out if it is the Catholic or the Anglican church. Sometimes
all we know is our ancestor was married at St Andrews -- ancestor failed
to record the denomination <grin>! (What a dilemma in Ulster!!)

I know of a couple other "Ulster Internal" lists that help if we
can't figure it out.

Linda

This thread: