Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 2000-01 > 0946748331

From: "Mike" <>
Subject: John Moore -----Dublin
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2000 10:38:51 -0700

Hopefully this ties in with someone's family line..... any
assistance upline or down line would be appreciated.

I have an ancestor, a "John Moore", born in Dublin, Ireland on July 19,
1741. I am not sure if he was actually born in Dublin or in the surrounding
vicinity. He actually could have been born in England, but I just don't have
verifiable information, only the Dublin data written on a piece of paper by
an ancestor. He was apparently raised and enrolled for the priesthood, but
at sometime during this training changed and became a doctor. He appears to
have immigrated to America via Philadelphia, in 1770. I don't know if he was
a certified doctor when he left Ireland and came to America or not. I have
no additional information on John while in Ireland.

He came by ship to America and to the state of Pennsylvania, USA and married
a "Hannah Armstrong". They had three sons, John A. Moore Jr., Armstrong and
Abraham. It is also stated they had five daughters, but I have found no
record of such. They owned farm lands, called Example, Moorefields, and
Station on the south branch of Whiteley Creek. He was in the Rev. War as a
private, although our family papers stated he was a doctor. He was also
called "schoolmaster" of Big Whiteley Creek in Greene Co. PA. He died on
December 2, 1818 in Greene County, Pennsylvania. He and Hannah are
buried in the Armstrong Cemetery near Carmichaels, PA.

This thread: