Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1999-12 > 0946232625

From: Robert Heiling <>
Subject: RE: BOWMAN Lookup
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 1999 10:23:45 -0800

Season's Greetings,

I am a PA Bowman researcher and am interested in those Bowman's who
probably had the Scotch-Irish origins versus German, Swiss or Dutch.

I am seeking info on a Pvt MICHAEL BOWMAN who is listed in the PA
Militia Muster of Northampton County, July 9, 1776. He participated in
the Battle of Long Island, Aug 27, 1776, was taken prisoner, impressed
into the British Army, 3 Sep 1776 along with 172 other prisoners. He
served in the Royal Highlands Emigrants, 84th Regiment 2nd Battalion,
and mustered out 1783/4 in Nova Scotia.

I am trying to connect Catherine Bowman (1774-1866), born Pennsylvania,
to this Michael Bowman as her father, possibly uncle. She also ended up
in same local in Nova Scotia married to Francis Coburn, born Ireland;
their two sons were named Michael and Benjamin. Her name is not amongst
the woman and children listed with the 84th on the Muster Out Rolls,
however about 5% of names are not legible on this muster.

Another father candidate is Srgt Henry BOWMAN who enlisted in the same
British Regiment on Aug 27, 1776 and was born Ireland; does not appear
to have been a prisoner, at least for any number of days. Henry served
his enlistment time, as a Srgt, and then went on to another British
Regiment and ended up in New Brunswick at end of war.

Thanks for your time,
Jan

This thread: