Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1999-10 > 0939613762

From: Mac McCutchan <>
Subject: Re: Quakers
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 1999 22:49:22 -0500

For a really good insight into the Quaker/Scotch-Irish/Palatine
German/Native American situation in the early years, it's fun to read
the letters of James Logan, the Provincial Secretary for Pennsylvania.
He was a Scotch-Irish Quaker, employed by the Penns. And he went
through quite an evolution in his perception of his fellow-countryman,
as they poured into Pennsylvania in ever-increasing numbers during the
1720's.
At first, he referred to them as "his brave fellow-countrymen",
saying "...it might be prudent to plant a settlement of such men as
those who formerly had so bravely defended Londonderry and Inniskillen
as a frontier...". He thought "these people if kindly used will be
orderly...also...a leading example to others."
But the Scotch-Irish kept coming, and they occupied everything that
wasn't already occupied. They settled on lands set aside for the Penn
family; they occupied Indian lands without benefit of treaty or
negotiation; and the Quakers were soon in the position of frantically
trying to negotiate with the Indians for lands the Scotch-Irish had
already taken. James Logan's letters changed substantially. He used
phrases and sentences like:
"troublesome settlers to the government and hard neighbors to the
Indians";
"audacious and disorderly";
"a settlement of five families from the North of Ireland gives me
more trouble than fifty of any other people".
And the Scotch-Irish kept coming. He was eventually driven to write
things like:
"It looks as if Ireland is to send all her inhabitants higher....The
common fear is, that if they continue to come, they will make themselves
proprieters of the province".
James was at least partially right; the Scotch-Irish eventually began
winning elections; and in the end, the Scotch-Irish were sorely needed
to defend the Quakers and many of the pacifist Palatine Germans during
the French and Indian War. It all makes fascinating reading, although
it forced me to view some of my ancestors in a new way. These were
really tough people. Given what they'd been through, I guess that
shouldn't have surprised me, but it did.
Hanna's "The Scotch-Irish", Volume 2, Chapter 4, and Leyburn's "The
Scotch-Irish: A Social History" (Chapter 13) has some really good
reading on our SI and Quaker (and German) ancestors in Pennsylvania.

Mac McCutchan

This thread: