Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1999-10 > 0939407772

From: "Dick" <>
Subject: Quakers
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1999 13:36:12 -0500

Hi All,

In reading about the Quakers with great interest, since some of my
Scotch-Irish ancestors eventually got involved with Quakerism, I wanted to
ask if any of the rest of you encountered the Quaker tradition of divorcing
from one's family of origin and taking on a new spiritual family? Isn't
this practice common amongst members of the sect? If so, it would certainly
be an impediment to genealogical research. Also, I recall that the Quakers
didn't call themselves "Quakers" and that they were The Society of Friends,
referring to themselves and one another as "friend." Was this true from the
inception of the sect? I've also read that they were extremely egalitarian
regarding gender, and that although men and women were segregated during
"meeting" they had equal voice. Am I correct? Is it also true that they
did not have ordained ministers? If anyone knows of these matters I would
much appreciate a reply. As it stands, I have only conjecture.

Thank you,

Dick Hudson

This thread: