Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1999-08 > 0934470242

From: "Dorothy Chance" <>
Subject: Re: Nigel Tranter
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 10:04:02 -0500

Thanks, Edward for your response. It is good to read "fun" books that also
are honest and accurate!

In an essay entitled "Evangelicals, Fugitives, and Hillbillies: Tennessee's
Impact on American National Culture" by Paul K. Conkin I was interested to
read "James McGready, was a particularly effective preacher, and he and his
colleagues were able, in this newly settled but land-rich western country,
to revive the old Scottish type of four- and five-day intercongregational
communion services."

This was offered in describing the experience of four or five ministers in
Sumner County, TN and Logan Co. KY between 1796 and 1800 that eventually led
to the establishment of the Cumberland Presbyterian church.

Apparently there is great power in communion seasons!