Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1999-07 > 0931530696

From: "Dick" <>
Subject: Re: Irishmen soldiering for other countries
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 09:31:36 -0500

Brian,

Well put, Brian. It reminds me of what is said regarding Italians: "You
never meet an Italian in Italy." This is/was due to the fact that Italy was
for so long divided into city states that the folks of Italy identified
themselves with the town or area from which they hailed. Coming to America
they began to identify themselves as Italian, more by language connection
than anything else. Eventually, this turned into genuine Italian ethnic
pride. (Sicily is an entirely different story which I choose not to go into
for matters of personal safety <grin>.)

Warm regards,

Dick Hudson

This thread: