Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1999-06 > 0930158849

From: <>
Subject: Surname Mahaney
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 13:27:29 EDT

I am researching the Mahaney family in the U.S. Presumably they were
Ulster Scots from Ireland. I have the family back to John Mahaney b. abt.
1780 in MD. I believe I may have found his marriage record in Frederick MD
but to date am unable to find any other trace of this family in MD.
In my research I have noticed that the name is occasionally transcribed as
Mahoney or Mahany. There is also family rumor that the name may have been
changed along the way.
I am wondering if anyone knows whether name Mahaney is an actual
Scottish/Irish name or is it a derivation from another surname that I should
be looking for?
Thanks for any help.
Holly

This thread: