Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1999-06 > 0928813770

From: linda Merle <>
Subject: Re: FULLER Surname
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 1999 20:49:30 -0700

Hi Floyd

>My father described himself as Irish, but also
>Scots-Irish; I've always thought that FULLER was an
>English name. Are there any Irish or Scots-Irish
>Fullers? According to other relatives, my
>ggg-grandfather was an immigrant about 1790-1810.

Your father was wise man. He knew he was the summation of all his
ancestors -- not just some surname. Often our own identity has nothing
to do with a surname's origin. Perhaps we "forgot" that side of the family.
All it takes is for the father to die young and for the mother to pass down
only her ethnicity. Or your family adopted the surname from a place or
the family whose tenants they were. Or their surname was translated into
English.

I can tell you what Bell "Surnames of Ulster" says about it. He is the best
to look into since in Ulster you have English, Scots, Irish, and Welsh surnames,
all together. So he had to research the surnames in all of those.

He covers Fuller under Walker. He explains that in medieval times cloth
was fulled --- scoured and thickened by being beaten in water. They did
this by walking or tramping it in a trough. English back then was not one
tongue but was evolving out of a little of others -- Saxon in South west
England. Norse and Anglish in the north. People didn't travel far and so
there were lots of regionalisms. In the south and east of England this
process was called fulling and you had Fullers. In the extreme south
west they were Tuckers --from the old english verb tucian to torment
and the to full. In the north and west those folks became Walkers .
Even a surname like Smith localizes in England in the middle ages --
because smiths were only called smiths in certain locales.

Meanwhile we have some confusing.....In the highlands the Gaelic word
for fuller gave rise to the patrynomic Mac an Fhucadair -- son of the fuller.
This became MacNucator and Mac Fucadair or MacFuktor. These names
were anglicied to Walker -- because in the English dialect in the north
you had Walkers. BUT according to Black "Surnames of Scotland"
you had Fullers in Scotland as early as 1376. Why? Because in Latin
fulling is fullo, and they wrote names in Latin, then. A Thomas FULLO
was a burgess of Edinburgh in 1386. And he suggests some of the
Fullers are now FOWLERS. Reaney and Wilson "A Dictionary of Englsih
surnames" looks like the source for Bell of the explanation of regionalisms
(Walker/Tucker/Fuller). However he adds the expected: Both Walker and
Tucker were latinized all over England (and we may add, Scotland) to
Fuller.

So it's rather hopeless, but happily, you are not a MacFuktor! No one
covers the Irish, but they spoke Gaelic, and It is very possible they
produced a McFuktor or two as well <grin>.

Linda Merle

This thread: