Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1999-03 > 0922462046

From: Richard Shannon <>
Subject: Re: Surnames
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 09:27:26 -0600

The recent discussions of surname books for Ulster brought to mind the
search for the roots of my own family name, Shannon. I had read
MacLysaght, but Bell's book doesn't seem to be in the library here at
the University of Texas - a surprise really. Some have said it was a
Dalcassian name. Others that it was Dal Riadian. The latter proves to be
correct. MacLysaght mainly speaks of the various Irish origins of the
name. I found it listed as a sept of Clan McDonald of the Isles in The
Family Tree publication from the Odem Payne library. Corresponding with
a "cousin" at the University of Glascow, I was informed it was derived
from seanachai, and that the early family were harpists and
storytellers/historians "associated with the most important family of
poets 'MacMhuiraichs'
who came from Ireland during 11th-12th century."

Does Bell have anything to say about the Shannons? Who were the Dalcassians?

- Richard Shannon
Mythos: http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~shannon1/

Linda Merle wrote:

> Hugh PRONTY was the grandfather of the Bronte sisters. He
> was from Ballynasaskeagh, Co Down, and he was a seanachai. The
> name was originally O Proinntighe (a spelling test follows!).
>
> Lest you think you need a Mc name to be a highlander and Gaelic
> speaking, think no more. We are told that the Rev JPatrick SIMPSON
> was born on Islay, a Gaelic speaker, and preached to his Dundalk
> congreation in Gaelic that that "'anywhere in Down that he might have
> an Irish audience, and in parts of Monaghan and Armagh'". He died
> in 1781 and was succeeded by a number of other Gaelic speaking
> Scots ministers.

This thread: