Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1999-03 > 0922398625

From: "Charles.Clark" <>
Subject: Re: Lady Jane Maxwell of Ireland
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 09:50:25 +1200

Joyce Wolfe wrote:

> Has anyone ever heard of "Lady Jane Maxwell of Ireland"? I was always
> told, by different Aunts, that we were descendants of Lady Jane Maxwell
> of Ireland, but no one seemed to know much else.
>
> Who was she? Was she even real? Where in Ireland was she from? Too
> many questions, I know. I'm just curious, and hadn't thought much about
> it until I joined the list, so I thought I'd throw the question out to
> everyone and see what comes back.
>
> Joyce
Sounds like someone from the family of Baron Farnham. The Barons Farnham
have the surname Maxwell and are listed in Burke. But if you can supply
more details I may be able to identify her more accurately. Dates,
perhaps, and was that a married or maiden name?
Charlie
I see a correction making her Scottish. Can still be the same family:
the Maxwells were baronets of Calderwood, though not Barons Farnham (ie
one branch of the family became extinct, and the baronetcy devolved on
the Irish branch from the extinct Scottish one)
Don't suppose we're looking at this Jane:
Sir William Maxwell, 10th Baronet, of Calderwood, b 11 Aug 1828, m 20
April 1880, Jane (who d 24 May 1942) dau of Frank Baird, but by her, who
m 2ndly 1887, George Leader Owen, D.L. of Withybush (who dsp 9 Feb 1905)
had no issue. Sir William d 4 Dec 1885, when his line became extinct,
and the baronetcy devolved upon his kinsman, James Pierce Maxwell, 9th
Baron Farnham.(who was of County Cavan, Ireland)

This thread: