Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1999-03 > 0921567353

From: "Charles.Clark" <>
Subject: MacDonnells/Colquhouns etc
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 19:55:53 +1300

John Giacoletti wrote:

> Vol 9 of THE ULSTER JOURNAL Of ARCHAEOLOGY, Belfast: Archer & Sons,
> 1861-1862 contains an article "Notices of the Clan Ian Vor, or
> Clan-Donnell, Scots, Especially of the Branch Settled in Ireland." Clan
> Donnell possessed "hereditary claims on the Antrim coast," through the
> marriage of John Mor Macdonnell to Margery Bissett, "the sole heiress of
> the Glynns of Antrim."
>
> "These negotiations resulted in a celebrated rendezvous at Carrickfergus,
> on the 5th of August, 1545, where the lords and barons of the Isles,
> assembled with a force of 4000 men and 180 galleys. In the presence of two
> commissioners sent by Lennox from England, and of the constable, mayor, and
> magistrates of Carrickfergus, the leaders in the Isles took the oath of
> allegiance to Henry VIII. The ceremony was performed in the "chaptour of
> ye Gray Freris of Knokfarguse, in presence of Patrick Colquhoun and Waltir
> MacFarlan, Commissionaris send be my Lord the Erll of Lennox, secund person
> of ye realme of Scotland ...."

This lot looks interesting. How does it fit in with the pedigree of the
Earls of Antrim which I posted yesterday? Can I assume that the Mac
Donnell or Mac Donnells who ran this (it was in their territory, even if
the leaders in the Isles would presumably have been MacDonalds, ie
Scotsmen) would be Sorley Buie MacDonnell and his elder brothers?
Charlie

This thread: