Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1999-02 > 0919876651

From: "LAMBERT-HAMID, LINDA" <>
Subject: RE: Scots-Irish/Appalachia
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 09:17:31 -0800

Hey Mac,

Okay, point well taken...I don't mean to be sexist or racist.
It is interesting though that even when those who re-write history
try to be politically correct, the old mind set creeps in. Recently
a group was assembled to re-write California elementary school
history texts, and the edits were reviewed by various ethnic groups
including Native Americans. The NAs objected to a statement about the
"first man to walk through Yosemite Valley was (a white man, don't
remember his name). The Native Americans corrected this, as he was
the first WHITE man to walk through the valley, the Natives had lived
there for centuries! It would be interesting to compare a modern history
text book to those I used in California public schools in the 1950's and
1960's. Ours were definately biased towards white males. Women and
people of color generally rated a brief paragrah, if that. White men
got entire chapters. We are moving in the right direction though when
we can look at things objectively and strive for accuracy. I agree that
nothing is black or white and must be taken in the context of the times.