Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1999-02 > 0919682691

From: "Edward Andrews" <>
Subject: Re: Military History
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 13:35:02 0

> which is "disbanded" and its replacement by an army supposedly Irish
> and responsible to the Irish parliament, not the English or Scottish.
> I guess I just gotta read more history....Groan.

Sorry, but I have been having great problems with Netscape 4.05, and
have had to revet to Pegasus.
I unwisley deleted Linda's message on this subject.

I noticed her comments about the Earl of Mar and the constant
recruiting.

You must remember that before the 1689 settlement that there was no
standing army.
There was a problem, you raised forces to deal with it, and then sent
them home.

The Royal Scots founded 1633 as Hepburn's Regiment survived because
it was moved to the French Service.

In the 17th century, Europe was littered with mercenary Scots. It
was a superb training ground, and the reason why some of the scottish
armies did so well was that they had experienced middle management and
above.

Don't know about the English though.
Edward Andrews

St Nicholas Buccleuch Parish Church Dalkeith, Midlothian Scotland
Visit our Web site http://www.btinternet.com/~stnicholas.buccleuch/index.ht

This thread: