Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1999-02 > 0918362192

From: "Charles.Clark" <>
Subject: Re: McClintock
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 1999 17:36:32 +1300

Edward Andrews wrote:

> Charles.Clark wrote:
> >
> > The McClintock arms given, then, are as follows:
> > ARMS (U.O. confirmed 1915) - Per pale gu and az a chevron erm between
> > three escallops that in the dexter chief or, that in the sinister chief
> > arg and that in the base per pale of the fourth and last.
> > Crest - A lion passant arg.
> > Motto - Virtute et labore
> >
> Rathdonnell Baron
> 1st and 4th arg.' on a bend sa.' three chess rooks erm. BURNBURY.
> 2nd and 3rd per pale, gu and az; a chevron erm between three escallops
> arg. McCLINTOCK
> Crests 1st 2 swords in saltire arg., hilted gold, pierced through a
> leopard's face or. BURNBURY.
> 2nd a lion passant, ppr McCLINTOCK
> Supporters Dexter a lion, and sinister a leopard, both ppr., each gorged
> with a collar erm, and each charged on the shoulder with an escallop
> arg.
> Mottoes Vis unita fortior, BURNBURY. Virtute et labore McCLINTOCK.
>
> Branch of old scottish family Purchased Rathdonnell estate 1597.
> B created for John McC an MP in 1868. s nephew Thomas Kayne
> McCLINTOCK-BURNBURY.
> Hope that this helps
> Edward Andrews

Now this starts to get interesting. Technically, I mean, rather than at
a personal level.
First, a return to Burke's Irish Family Records (as we don't have
Burke's Peerage)
Remember that when this story starts, the family has already been in
Ireland for 200 years, which is longer than any of us can remember back.

JOHN McCLINTOCK, of Drumcar, co Louth, High Sheriff 1798, MP for Athlone
1823, and co Louth 1831, b 14 Aug 1769, m 1st 11 June 1797, Jane (d28
April 1801) only dau of William Bunbury, MP, of Moyle, co Carlow, and
had issue,
1 JOHN, cr BARON RATHDONNELL (see BURKE'S Peerage)
2 William Bunbury McCLINTOCK-BUNBURY (assumed additional surname
1846) of Lisnnavagh, Capt RN, MP for co Carlow 1846-62, b 1800,
m 3 Nov 1842 Pauline Caroline Diana Mary (d 1 Jan 1876), 2nd dau
of Sir James Mathew Stronge, 2nd Bt, DL, of Tynan Abbey, co Armagh
(see BURKE'S Peerage), and d 2 June 1866, leaving issue (with two
daus, who dunm)
1. THOMAS KANE, s his uncle as 2nd BARON RATHDONNELL under special
remainder (see BURKE'S Peerage)
2. John William
1 Catherine
Mr John McClintock m 2ndly 15 April 1805 etc and d 5 July 1855, having
had further issue, 4 sons and 3 daughters not relevant to this story,
but including the ancesto of the historian who provided Burke with this
material.

First, I don't know where the Rathdonnell estates came from, they
certainly were not McClintock estates, and weren't in the hands of
William Bunbury, of Moyle, co Carlow. Presumably they were Bunbury
family estates, and left to John McClintock by another more senior
relative of William Bunbury, after William Bunbury's death. Certainly,
however, the money seems to have been Bunbury money, that being the
reason why the Rathdonnell arms are comprised of the Bunbury and
McClintock arms, quartered. In other words, money talks, and if John was
heir to the Bunbury estates, he would have shown that in his coat of
arms.
It is interesting to note that the claim is made that the Rathdonnell
estates were purchased in 1597, the same year that the first McClintock
purchased Trintagh. either a misprint, or else the families had come
over together, and perhaps known each other over the intervening two
centuries.

I note differences between the arms quoted for Rathdonnell and for
various McClintocks.

1. The senior branch of the family has arms as already noted:
ARMS (U.O. confirmed 1915) - "Per pale gu and az a chevron erm between
three escallops that in the dexter chief or, that in the sinister chief
arg and that in the base per pale of the fourth and last."
2. The family of McClintock, formerly of Seskinore, which descends from
a younger brother of the first McClintock I listed, ie JOHN McCLINTOCK,
of Drumcar, co Louth, High Sheriff 1798, MP for Athlone 1823, and co
Louth 1831, b 14 Aug 1769, has the same arms.
3. McClintock, formerly of Rathvinden, descended from a younger brother
of 1st Baron Rathdonnell (but not from Lord Rathdonnell himself),
similarly has the same arms.

On the other hand,
4. The Rathdonnell arms have "per pale, gu and az; a chevron erm between
three escallops arg"
5. McClintock of cos Derry and Tyrone, who claim descent from the family
of Lord Rathdonnell, also have this second set of arms.

It would appear that in registering his arms (would have to see Burke's
Peerage for details) the first Baron Rathdonnell changed them slightly
from what appears to have been a clear family pattern.

I don't know enough heraldry to describe the arms accurately, but let's
try

For both coats of arms, Start with a shield
The shield is divided vertically into two halves (per pale), coloured
red (gu, for gules) and blue (az, for azure) respectively. I am not sure
which side is which colour.
Across the centre of the shield is a chevron, coloured erm (not sure
what that is, is ermine a brown colour?)
There are 3 scallop shells (escallops), positioned top left, top right,
and bottom on the shield.

Now the difference:

In the original version, the three escallops are coloured differently:
"dexter chief or" means that the scallop in the top left scallop is gold
(or), or yellow. That is top left looking at the shield. dexter, of
course, means right, but applie to the way the shield might be described
by its holder, ie from behind.
"sinister chief arg" means the top right (looking at the shield) scallop
is silver (arg, for argentum), or white.
The third scallop, at the bottom (in base), lies over the line dividing
the two sides of the shield (red and blue), is divided vertically in two
(per pale) and is coloured blue and red, ie the opposite colours to the
section of the shield on which it sits.

In the Rathdonnell version, it's all a lot simpler: the three scallops
are all white or silver (arg, for argentum)

Now, will someone with an Armorial please correct all that and do it
properly? And provide an explanation of the change from one version to
the other?
The crest and motto of the Rathdonnell branch and the original version
are of course unchanged.
Charlie

This thread: