Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-11 > 0912442723

From: John Carpenter <>
Subject: Fwd: Re: STU WOB HAS SOME TAIG BLOOD and Sally Hemmings
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 08:18:43 -0800 (PST)

> It probably makes you typical, but rather more
honest than most.
> about it.
> An example is the current American scandal over
Jefferson and his
> mulatto slave Sally Hemings - it really happened it
seems, but was
> hidden for a couple of centuries (A bit dicey, so
it seems - she was his
> wife's half-sister. Imagine owning as a slave a
member of your wife's
> family)
Jefferson's father-in-law was Sally's father. And
Sally looked like Jefferson's wife, darker, but a
noticeable resemblance in the pictures I've seen.
His relationship with Sally began after his wife's
death and looks as if it might have been loving
instead of exploitative. They certainly could not
have married. In VA Jefferson couldn't even have
married a woman identified as American Indian, which
is one reason that ancestry is hard to trace that far
back. I think far too much horror has been expressed
over Jefferson's love life. I believe he did the
best he could under the circumstances and was an
honorable man. Screw the politically correct police!
Man the barricades against the rewriters of history
and its meaning! Arriba! Arriba!