Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-11 > 0911182252

From: "Jean W. Thwaits" <>
Subject: D.A.R. Lineage Books - Bill's Questions
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 1998 21:10:52 -0500

Now to try to answer Bill's questions:

Q How long does it take to receive a copy of a DAR application?
A I don't know.

Q How can I find Local Chapters of the DAR?
A I located our local Chapter by going to the DAR Web Site and leaving
a message. They contacted me.

Q Can I apply to a local Chapter for lineage of a member; would it be
faster than going to the National Office?
A If you are a direct descendant, you might possibly be able to obtain
a copy from a local chapter - possibly. I think it would depend on the
Chapter rules. So, again, I don't know, but it would be worth a try.

I am of the understanding that many of the people who work at the DAR
Headquarters are unpaid volunteers who donate blocks of time to help
research lineage applications, so there are times when the applications
accumulate and then a call has to go out for volunteers.

I once heard a lawyer describe practicing law by asking us imagining
pushing a row of wheelbarrows down the street; you have to push the
first wheelbarrow, then the second, and so on; when every one has been
pushed just so far, you have to go to the front and start all over.

Somehow that image comes to mind when I think of our paperwork awaiting
processing.

Sorry I could not be more help.

Jean Marie Wright Thwaits

This thread: