Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-07 > 0900795877

From: Forrest, Robin< >
Subject: Re: Irish naming patterns ??
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 1998 14:04:37 -0700

One of my dutch families has 7 daughters named Arrientje or various
spellings of same all but the last one died young and this is her maternial
grandmothers name so the dutch seemed to name oldest after mothers side and
the second after fathers side. This is true in almost all cases of my N.Y.
Dutch families.
My Robert McCOOK comes from near Ballymena in Antrim his oldest son is
Alexander and second son is John oldest daughter Jane
I have found a Robert and Alexander in the area Alexander McCOOK's wife is
Jane ?? My Robert married Jane or Janet HANNAH and have just found her
parents were John HANNA and Jane KENNEDY thus following the naming tradition
on this side at least especially if we consider that Alexander and Jane
McCOOK as being the most likely prospect for Robert's parents because both
grand mothers would be named Jane it explains why the second oldest femail
is Mary third male is my g grandfather Robert.
Rob Forrest