Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-07 > 0900526010

From: "David L. White" <>
Subject: Re: Location in N. Ireland
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 13:06:50 -0500

I tried to find a Versharken in my atlas, and there was no listing for such
a spelling, in spite of the recent newspaper reports from there. Howver,
as Bonnie noted, there is a Rasharkin, County Antrim, Barony of Kilconway,
Parish of Rasharkin, Poor Law Union of Ballymoney. The Parish of Rasharkin
is listed in the Census of Ireland for 1851.
David Leslie White
Fort Worth, Texas

----------
> Subject: Re: Location in N. Ireland
> Date: Tuesday, July 14, 1998 10:18 PM
>
> Hi Virginia and John,
>
> If the place you are looking for is the place listed in the recent
> troubles in Ulster, as you seem to think, and I agree that it's likely,
> then it is Rasharkin, which is in Co. Antrim. (Drumcree and Portadown
> are also involved, as you mention, and they are both in Co. Armagh.)
>
> Bonnie M. Fountain
>
> On Tue, 14 Jul 1998 17:24:18 -0700 "Virginia W. Beck"
> <> writes:
> >John: Right after I read your message, the CNN reporter on TV said he
> >was
> >reporting from Versharkin. I looked in my old atlas, which hardly
> >ever
> >fails me, but could find no listing. You might visit your library,
> >which
> >probably has much more detailed atlases and maps of Ireland than the
> >ones we
> >have. Did you ever see it written? Could it be one of those Irish
> >names
> >that is pronounced entirely differently from how it looks?

This thread: