Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-06 > 0898296956

From: "Thomas P. Smith" <>
Subject: Re: Sample/Semple
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 15:55:56 -0700

Gary Childress wrote:

> The dates and locations of your ancestors are consitent with the Ulster-Scots
> migration into the Allegheny mountains as Indian fighters. The Scotch-Irish were
> Indian fighters and lost about 50 Scots for every Indian killed according to some
> authors. The Scots who had first settled in Ireland before migrating to America,
> populated the counties of Tyrone, Londonderry and Antrim but " if there was one
> thing the Ulster people were not, it was 'Irish' " according to Ronnie Hanna, Land
> of the Free, Uster and the American Revolution, Ulster Society Publications,
> Armagh, Ulster. (note, the Ulster Society, in Northern Ireland refers to these
> emigrants to America as Scotch-Irish not Scots-Irish). Gary
>
> wrote:
>
> > John SEMPLE died in E. Pennsboro twp. will 15 Feb 1758/3 March 1758. oldest
> > son John, 2nd son James 3rd son David, 4th son Robert, 5th son Samuel, son
> > Joseph. DAughter Jannet.
> >
> > I think he had a son John who died in Cumberland co 10/1/1794. Grandson
> > James died in 1830 and was an Indian fighter in Allegheny co, PA.
> >
> > I would like to find out where John came from Ireland. I am going there in 3
> > weeks and would love to find out where in Ireland he came from. Margo
To Gary Childress, I want to take exception to your statement that the
Scotch-Irish settlers were not good fighters against the Indians and
lost about 50 for every Indian killed according to some authors. There
were other authors who differed. The Colonial armies who fought like
the British, that is all in line and muskets firing at trees and shadows
got pretty much slaughtered but some later learned to fight like the
Indians.
My 4x grandfather was James Smith of Mercersburg who at the age of 18
was captured by the Caughnawagas and adopted into their tribe. He
stayed with them for five years and finally made his escape, returning
home with a good knowledge of their ways, he organized a group called
the "Black Boys", so called because they blacked their faces and fought
at night in Indian fashion all along the West Pa. frontier. They were
highly successful and got a lot of respect from the marauding tribes.
Some were even brutal enough to take scalps. They had lots of woodland
savvy and when they attacked only half would fire while the other half
reloaded. Read about Smith's life and adventures in a book called "The
First Rebel" by Neil Swanson or watch the old movie "Allegany Uprising"
with John Wayne. (a bit corny in places but pretty factual). Smith and
his "boys" fought Indians in Pa. and Ohio before , during, and after the
Revolution and was a Colonel in the Pa. Militia.
Had to say something here in defense of a lot of good old SI patriots.

Tom P. Smith,

This thread: