Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-03 > 0889911442

From: "Virginia W. Beck" <>
Subject: Re: dancing and alacrity
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 1998 13:37:22 -0800

We did a lot of square and round dancing. Both are quite stylized; neither
requires the fancy footwork of the Irish and Scots. The round dances are
similar to the popular line dances today, in that all participants learn the
same sequence of steps, and the dance is done in unison, but the dance is
done in a circle instead of in rows. A series of steps, twirls, and
interacting moves also has to be learned for the square dance, but once the
basic moves are memorized, they can be done in any achieveable sequence,
determined by the "caller". Novice callers can sometime ask dancers for
moves that are not possible, however! Ginia.