Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-03 > 0889420901

From: LLove1039 <>
Subject: Re: Name Origin - Love [Luff]
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 1998 00:21:41 EST

Linda -
Thanks for the response - My James Love,weaver, and brothers John, William
"English Bill", Robert, & Alexander were in Chester and York Cos, Pa. by
1727-30, to Chester & York Coc. NC\SC by 1755[James & Robert], Wm. & Alex by
1771.
Said to be from Co. Antrim, prior to that known as "Ulstermen" & before that
"of the Lowlands of Scotland".
Source of all this is Love Family Historical & Genealogical Quarterly's from
the 1950's, edited & published by Albert Lee Love & Robert A. Love, deceased
relatives & genealogists.
The April 1954 issue, Vol 1 #3 has several lists of cemetery inscriptions from
York Co., Pa.: Bethel Methodist Church Cemetery lists Loves while the Catholic
Cemetery, Spring Garden Township, York Co. lists Luff's, which seems to me to
be a variation of the Love name - But boy howdy I've been wrong before!
That was source of my question - hope I've given enough info to raise some
more?
Like to keep the pot stirred. :-)
Maybe we've got some connections ... Thanks again for the info.
Love, Lou

This thread: