Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-03 > 0889409242

From: "Aaron Orr" <>
Subject: Re: What's In a Name?
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 1998 21:07:22 -0500

Dear Nikki and Diane:

The random use of the Bible as a form of divination can be very dangerous.
For instance, a fellow was feling very depressed. He opened the Bible and
the test read "And Judas went adn hanged himself." That wasn't helpful, so
he tried again. The second try brought , "Go and do thou likewise."

One is much safer to get into a good Psalm and read oneself from fear to
faith. The Bible is full of more than we fully understand, yet there is in
it a deeper understanding of human psyche than we can ever grasp. Every
kind of mortal is thee, the good and the evil, and overlaying all of it is
a saga of Divine Wisdom and Mercy.

Sincerely,

Aaron R. Orr

----------
> From: Diane Hettrick <>
> To: NStrands <>
> Subject: Re: What's In a Name?
> Date: March 8, 1998 2:32 AM
>
> Nikki,
>
> Thank you for the information.
> I have heard of divination using the bible in the way you describe.
> You ask a question, then open the bible at random and let your finger
> land on a verse without looking, read the verse - and that is your
> answer. I seem to remember trying this as a teenager - the answers were
> surprisingly coherent, if you stayed away from the "begats." The irony
> is that now we're all working on our own "begats."
>
> Diane
>

> NStrands wrote:
> >
> > I've heard that people used sometimes to open the Bible at random and
where
> > their finger landed, that was the name. Don't know if this is really
true,
> > but I had a 5ggf named Abiezer (Abiezer was the father of Gideon, if I
read
> > Judges correctly) and no other reason for his name such as other
relatives,
> > etc. Beth-El or Bethel means, I believe, House of God - so it is a
common
> > name for both temples (synagogues) and churches and even a Baptist
college
> > near here.
> > Nikki Strandskov
> > Minneapolis