Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-03 > 0889293732

From: Diane Hettrick <>
Subject: What's In a Name?
Date: Sat, 07 Mar 1998 10:02:12 -0800

One of my family lines uses the given name "Bethel" frequently.
One genealogist said to me, "Oh, his mother must have been religious."

In the US, I've seen Bethel as part of names of Protestant churches; I
vaguely remember some Masonic usage; and now that I actually look at the
name, it occurs to me that there is a Jewish Temple Beth-el around
here. It must be old testament.

Is there any particular significance to the family using this name? Or
is it one of those cases where they heard a bible word they liked and
used it?

Diane Hettrick

This thread: