Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-03 > 0889057279

From: Edward Andrews <>
Subject: Re: A dose of medicine
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 1998 00:21:19 +0000

On Wed, 4 Mar 1998 15:41:46 -0500, Dan W. Cadenhead wrote:

> >Like I've said once, My greatest hope for the inter-net is global TRUTH.
> >The U.S. government and the American Med. Assoc. would have us believe
> >that compared to our health care, all others are bordering on third
> >world status. What do you Canadians and Europeans think of this BS. Dan
>
> Ron Cushman
>
> Pickering, ON, CANADA
I have watched this thread with keen interest.
I am extremely grateful for the National Health Service, with its
many imperfections.
As a minister I deal with many sick people. At the minute I have got
a lady of about 70 who had an MI about a month ago. She has been in IC
ever since, and has had 2 goes of Heart Surgery. While she still is
not out of the wood, she does not need to worry about her financial
entitlement.
I know of another case of someone 52, with an aneurysm, which was
successfully treated (including about 10 days in IC, followed some
months later by a stroke, followed by Psychiatric problems. In
America, this would have probably wiped him out. It has not here.
Of course I am aware of the long delays for some elective surgery,
but by and large emergencies are well dealt with.
I will not engage in the philosophical argument about personal
responsibility. It says nothing to me. I believe that the state has a
duty to support its weaker members. I have no problems with a Big
State.
There is little doubt that because the previous administration found
some of the arguments from America attractive that the NHS has
suffered a fall off in standards over the last 18 years of so.
On the whole however, we have an attractive, reasonably inexpensive
service which meets the needs of those who have needs. A bit creaky, a
bit slow, but a very fine system.
Edward Andrews

--
St Nicholas Buccleuch Parish Church Dalkeith
Visit our Web site

This thread: