Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-02 > 0888344186

From: Edward Andrews <>
Subject: Re: No Puritans here
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 18:16:26 +0000

wrote:

> << Beth,
>
> You are right about the pagan roots of almost all if not all of our
> traditions related to Christian holidays. It is interesting to find them,
> but indeed meanings can and do change as new meaning is realized or
> revealed whether in nature or in our hearts and minds. It is the same God
> who created us in his image, male and female.
> >>

> That is one theory...usually the Christian one. However there are many people
> of the world who do not believe that it is all "the same God" (kind of hard to
> when it's a Goddess you believe in anyway). And they also believe in several
> Gods and Goddesses and not a single God.
>
> Yes, the meanings do change when one religion takes anothers traditions as
> their own. That's fine by me (basically). I just like the real roots of a
> holiday or tradition to be acknowledged by those who have taken them over
> instead of simply claiming it was their own...as though they invented it.

You will however notice that the Reformed Tradition rejected the
ideas of Christian Holidays. Laws were passed against the keeping of
them. Personally I am keen on Easter. Christ rose from the dead, an
objective fact which you can accept or not but it still happened. I am
also into Pentecost, which is a Jewish festival, and as it is the time
when the early Church experienced the Holy Spirit, it must be
important to those who are seeking to live the Christian Faith. I can
live without the rest. Christmas I try and put in the Context of
Advent, complete with candles.
Of course we have taken over local festivals, and Baptized them, When
we took them over we did change the meaning. I do however see no need
to unbaptize them.
Personally I am not that concerned about what other people believe.
They have a right to it. I will however proclaim what I believe I have
been called to proclaim. You can take it or leave it. That is between
God and you.
I would suggest that it is more in line of the teaching of Christ
than the ideas of my predecessor from 1660 who made Dalkeith one of
the witch burning centres of Scotland.
Edward Andrews

--
St Nicholas Buccleuch Parish Church Dalkeith
Visit our Web site

This thread: