Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-02 > 0888267829

From: John Carpenter <>
Subject: re: No Puritans here
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 13:03:49 -0800 (PST)

At one time all our ancestors did; and I suspect that
many of them continued to for a lot longer than is
shown in written history.....It has been said that
when the Reformation started, the Scots asked
themselves what would annoy the priests more, if they
became Presbyterian or if they remained pagan...and
deciding that the priests hated Protestants more than
pagans they became Presbyterian.....I rather like
being called pagan or heathen...since pagan comes
from paganus in latin and heathen means people of the
heath and so both words always meant the same. I am
Presbyterian and Christian, but God is more apparent
in the fields and desert and mountains than in the
churches we have built, often to show how religious
we are.
I find practioners of the old religion are mostly
very good people and I doubt that God (or Goddess)
cares how he/she is worshipped as long as it is
sincere.

--- wrote:

> I've been reading with some interest the thread(s)
currently going on
> surrounding religion and ancestors. I was just
wondering where all of this
> leaves those of us who are decended from people who
practiced a somewhat
> 'older' religion than Christianity and who carry on
those religious beliefs?

> My ancestors were Druids and Celtic Pagans, so
these threads have been quite