Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-02 > 0888026500

From: Sharon McAllister <>
Subject: RE: Ambidextrous
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 21:01:40 -0500

Joanna wrote:

> Very interesting, Sharon. Does quality of eyesight affect this test? I
have
> difficulty focusing on an object across the room. I need glasses for
distance
> to drive, but mostly for reading. I do not wear them all the time.

I don't know how overall acuity affects the test, but all of the subjects
were undergraduate students so our eyes still had the ability to shift
focus quickly from near to far. I'm now of the bifocal generation, and
still see two fingers bracketing the object I'm pointing to -- with or
without my glasses.

> If the object is within three feet, right or left focus, when shutting
one
> eye, it is equally off center. This sounds good, but I wish we knew how
if it
> is accurate.

I haven't tried it with anything that close. It's important to point
quickly, without thinking about it, then check alignment. Even people with
a dominant eye can duplicate this by shifting focus back and forth between
the far object to the finger to force them into a symmetrical alignment.

Sharon

This thread: