Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-02 > 0886971120

From: John Giacoletti <>
Subject: Term of Contempt
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 1998 15:52:00 -0500

Hey girls,

I hate to spoil the chat BUT "sassenach" is now a term of contempt used by
a Scot to mean an English person.

Context of course modifies the meaning so there may be something you all
are missing in the "term of endearment" explanation in the novels, perhaps
a bit of sarcasm.

>The word "sassenach" is used as a nickname or a term of endearment from a
husband to a wife in a book >I'm reading that takes place around the '45
uprising.

This isn't to say there were not English Jacobites but there was always a
measure of distrust toward them and they were not in the inner circles.

John Giacoletti

This thread: