Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-01 > 0886148168

From: "Dorothy Chance" <>
Subject: Re: Ornery
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 02:16:08 -0600

Does anyone have a notion whether the term "ornery" which is an old mountain
saying might be derived from the language brought by the Scotch Irish in the
17th-18th century?

I dont think I've ever heard the term applied to the female of the species,
have you?
"he's an ornery cuss" has the "real" ring to it!!