Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-01 > 0886123394

From: Edward Andrews <>
Subject: Re: Nut Joke
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 01:23:14 +0000

wrote:

> Joe,
> Have you been to Edward's web site and seen that angelic look on his
> face? No, I just can't picture Edward being ornery.
> Connie
> PO>Connie,Some of my friends who were called to the pulpit were as onery
> PO>as they could be.I bet Edward was right in the middle of the action
> PO>,probable the one who planned it . How about it Edward? Take
> PO>care,Joe
Sorry folks, this is one of the American words which we keep on
hearing, which has never travelled successfully across the pond.
I have understood it to be a kind of equivalent of Bloody Minded. But
clearly there are subtleties which I haven't picked up.
Of course I was in the middle of the action.
We would ring people up from a call box - a pay phone. You were meant
to put 4d into the phone, but you could get calls free if you knew
how: we did.
When you got the victim you told them that you were the phone
company, and that you had to check the phone. To do this you needed
them to generate a tone, i.e. whistle into the phone.
When they did you congratulated them, and promised to seen them a
packet of bird seed
Edward
St Nicholas Buccleuch Parish Church Dalkeith
Visit our Web site
http://www.btinternet.com/~stnicholas.buccleuch/index.ht

This thread: