Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-01 > 0885910560

From: Mary <>
Subject: Re: The Irish in America
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 06:16:00 -0800

At 08:32 AM 1/27/98 -0500, you wrote:
>I also watched the program and found the history of the potato famine to
>be most sad, but that is a part of history. It was a very eye-opening
>account of what happened. I found the coffin ships very enlightning and
>now understand why so many NI emmigrants came to the US and Canada
>during the mid to late 1800's. This is a real lesson about the hard
>times that people in that area went through. For example they talked
>about the people in the West of NI who were reduced to eating seaweed
>and grass rather than starve to death (which many did). And the fact
>that on some of the coffin ships there was a 20% death rate from Black
>fever as the norm. This PBS program is definately a "must see" and I
>intend to watch the other two programs (tonight and tomorrow night).
>
>Dave Culbertson
Dear Dave,

Another good film is WHEN IRELAND STARVED, which gives a detailed account of
the 1800's, a good film for anyone interested in Irish history. I got mine
from Rego Records in New York, don't have their 800 number on hand.

My ancestors came from Cork and came in a rickety coffin ship.

This thread: