Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-01 > 0885757366

From: John Giacoletti <>
Subject: Nut Joke
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 1998 14:42:46 -0500

This is a true story. It doesn't approach the realism of the Bean family
accounts we have read about, but then, as Edward said, "The best ones
stayed.":-)

A Methodist minister was making his regular parish visitations. He timed
his visits so that he would arrive at a particular house in time for lunch.
On this particular day he got to the widow Mrs. Smith's house just before
noon.

Well, won't you come in Pastor. I was just fixing a sandwich. Won't you
join me? Have a seat here in the dining room while I get things ready.

Of course, that was exactly what he wanted to hear. He carried on a light
conversation with her while she was in the kitchen preparing the
sandwiches.

In the course of the chit-chat, he noticed a candy dish full of peanuts on
an endtable. Not able to resist the offering, he snuck a handful or so of
the peanuts. Nobody can stop at one!

Well, the widow Smith came out with the platters of sandwiches, ice tea and
such and set the table. A little embarrased at the bounty before him, the
minister apologized to the widow for taking a few handfuls of the peanuts.

Oh, no matter Reverend she said, turning back into the kitchen to hang up
her apron. I already sucked the chocolate off.

John Giacoletti

This thread: