Scotch-Irish-L Archives

Archiver > Scotch-Irish > 1998-01 > 0885601403

From: NStrands <>
Subject: Re: Ulster-Scots language
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 19:23:23 EST

How interesting! The other night, looking at the 1920 census of Brunswick,
South Portland, Cape Elizabeth, Maine (on the way to Harpswell), I found many
emigrants from Scotland and Ireland. That census asked for the "Mother
Tongue" of anyone who was not born in the USA. Many if not most of the Scots
and Irish listed "Scottish," "Scotch" or "Scots", or "Irish" as the case might
be, as their mother tongue. I was thinking that the census taker had written
that in and they really spoke English - but having heard a piece on public
radio about the Scots language, and reading this post, makes me think that
perhaps they reported these languages themselves.
Nikki Strandskov

This thread: